Can you guys believe that we are in October, seriously?!? Where has the time gone this year? It’s flying by! It’s definitely cooling down around here and let’s be honest, soup season is back up and running. It’s getting back into the cosier and warmer clothes and those heartier meals. Apt for this time of year, sweet potatoes and carrots make a flavourful soup packed with delicious flavours and nutrients.
- 2 sweet potatoes (I medium sized and 1 small) peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, outer skin peeled off
- 1 garlic bulb, peel off the flaky outer bits but keep bulb whole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Crushed black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- On a baking tray place the sweet potato, carrots, shallot and garlic. Pour over the olive oil, season with salt and generously with the crushed black pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes (mix about half way through) or until soft and browned.
- Place the vegetables (excluding the garlic) in a pan. Using your hands gently squeeze out the contents of the garlic bulb (once cooled a little) into the pan. Pour over hot vegetable stock and mix all ingredients together.
- Using a hand blender blitz the soup until smooth. If you would prefer the consistency to be slightly runnier add a splash of water to loosen it up. Taste and season if necessary.
Best served hot.