Mushrooms are one of my absolute favourite vegetables. I won’t go a week without having it in at least 3 of my meals. They are so juicy and so versatile which I love and can be used in so many things. I know, perhaps, the picture doesn’t do it justice but, boy, this recipe not only is deliciously creamy in flavour but its 100% vegan and makes the perfect side dish or main meal. What I find brilliant with grains like bulgur wheat too, is that you can prepare a bulk amount and just divide it up for yourself and your partner or family members for the week, knowing that there’s one less thing for you to worry about.
- 200g baby button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 130g fine bulgur wheat
- 3 dried bayleaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 200ml coconut milk
- Black pepper
- Fry the garlic in the olive oil with the thyme and bayleaves on a medium heat for a 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with the black pepper and pour in the wine; cook until it evaporates.
- Pour in the stock and coconut milk and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drop the heat to medium- low and add the bulger, mix well, cover and leave to cook for 10 minutes or until the wheat is fully cooked.
- Pour over the extra virgin olive oil and fluff with a fork.