In the recent cooler weather, we need a bowl of comfort food and this chickpea and butter bean soup is the way to go. Ready in less than 30 minutes, makes a quick and healthy delicious dinner. By partially blitzing the soup at the end adds extra texture and creaminess that just makes it even more flavoursome.
- 1 can (400ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (400ml) butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 medium-sized shallot, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 vegetable stock cube, (I used Knorr) dissolved in 700ml of boiling water.
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large dried bayleaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the onion, garlic and bay leaves in the olive oil on medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add the carrot and potato and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with cumin, paprika, oregano and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the chickpeas and butter beans and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and give the mix a stir.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- With a hand blender pulse the soup mixture 3-4 times just to add more texture and silkiness to the consistency.
Best served hot