Now that we have arrived in September I automatically get that overwhelming feeling that we getting closer and closer to the end of the year and forgive me for saying it… but Christmas! I associate this time and the next few months with the preparations for the end of the year and the slow change we make from summer into the autumn time. Before we know it the leaves on the trees will start to fall and the temperature will drop and soon we shall be referring back to those cosy jumpers and jackets that we are very well acquainted with.
To slowly ease ourselves back into those ‘winter warmer’ meals I have made this Sweet Potato Soup which is so flavourful, and currently brilliant to have as a light lunch with some sourdough bread. Fantastic for those who are still working from home but fancy that lunchtime heartiness instead of a cold dish.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 fresh tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 165ml coconut milk
- 400ml water
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 vegetable stock cube (I used Knorr)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan, fry the garlic, ginger and onion in the olive oil until lightly browned on medium-low heat.
- Then add the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, paprika and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the sweet potato, tomato, coconut milk and stock cube and mix well for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the water and give it a good mix.
- Leave to boil on medium-low heat for 13-15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Take the pan off the heat and put the contents into a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth.
- Put the soup back in the pan and give it a taste. Season with salt and pepper if required.
Best served hot.