I thought it was about time I posted a recipe of my own! So I decided to get creative in the kitchen and make Melanzane Parmigana. This is an Italian dish translated literally as ‘Parmesan Aubergine‘. Having this dish at home and out in restaurants has always been a pleasure to eat so I thought I would rise to the challenge and cook it myself… How hard could it be?
- 2 Large Aubergines
- 2 Cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 White onion
- 4 Fresh medium sized tomatoes
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 5 Leaves of fresh Basil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- Ground Black Pepper
- 30g of Grated Parmesan cheese
- 125g of Mozzarella cheese (optional) sliced and thinly cut
- Pierce several holes into the aubergines and put into the grill for 15 minutes on a medium to high heat; turn occasionally.
- Whilst the aubergine is in the grill, preheat the oven to 200°C or gas 7.
- To make the sauce: cut the garlic and onion into chunks and fry until golden brown.
- Chop the fresh tomatoes into chunks and add to the saucepan along with the tomato puree and the tin of tomatoes (cook down till the sauce is of a thick consistency).
- Add the fresh basil and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Then transfer the sauce into a blender for a couple of minutes or until smooth.
- Layering the Melanzane Parmigiana: Add a thin layer of the sauce to the bottom of the dish.
- Cut the aubergine into slices (dispose the stalks) and put a layer into the dish followed by the tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Repeat this method.
- On the final layer add the remaining sauce and sprinkle again with parmesan cheese but also add mozzarella for the extra taste (this is optional however, another cheese can also be used for personal preference).
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the aubergines are tender.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy.